It has been brought to my attention that the only full-time “real” doll repairman hails from my current hometown: http://machochip.com/2009/01/slade-fiero-fixes-real-dolls.php
Does that say something about my quiet little burg? I’d like to think so. I’ve often spoken lovingly of my liberal Mayberry. I won’t go on and on about how cool it is, I’ll just [...]
A few things.
1. My new matchflick column is out: http://www.matchflick.com/column/1862 I order you to see 11 fabulous performance (stand-up) films.
2. Obama is doing well so far. I think his interview with the Arab channel went well, even though the networks here seemed jealous. Thrilled that Guantanamo is closing. I’ve never understood how [...]
Despite what comic book guy (aka Jeff Anderson) says, this Sunday’s couch gag was one of the best. If that box isn’t for sale already, it should be.
The main plot of this episode: Lisa gets a best friend. It’s sad from the beginning–we know it won’t last; this is a sitcom. Still, the [...]
The Pope just re-communicated four bishops who were excommunicated in the 1980s. Richard Williamson, one of the four, is a holocaust denier and thinks 9/11 was a zionist plot. While he’s been vocal about these things for years, since he gave an anti-semitic talk this week, people are upset about the timing of the [...]
Finally saw Slumdog Millionaire. I have to agree with the prevailing opinion–I liked it.
I’ve heard two major criticisms of the film. One is the people are bored with the “hooker with a heart of gold theme”; unfortunately, I think that for people born into the world of the characters, women are either going [...]
gotta love faux 70s
Look Around You
–this is a quirky British thing that’s showing on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. They’re showing two episodes tonight and hopefully they’ll show more. Basically, the show is a parody of those awful films you used to have to watch in middle school about various subjects, but [...]
MacHomer, my absolute favorite blending of Shakespeare and Simpsons, is getting a New York run. I’ve seen the play twice (and it’s amazing–pee in your pants funny). It’s postmodern, fun, cultural, and political (some of the jokes change each week). Readers: have you seen it, do you want to see it, if you’re [...]
I read Dead Until Dark before HBO made the fabulous True Blood series. When the series ended its season, I had a Sookie Stackhouse orgy. I consumed too much, I admit, but when you bite into something you like, it’s hard to stop.
I recommend the novels if you want some light reading. I recommend [...]
My friend Afzal asked me yesterday what I thought Cheney might do now. Here are my top five ideas:
1. He will retire to an undisclosed location to ponder whether his nickname is unfortunate, if fitting.
2. He will start construction on the third Death Star.
3. He will hide in his man-size safe to [...]
1. I was not impressed when Wolf Blitzer told me that they could show me what the Mall would look like if I were watching the inaugeration from a plane overhead. Methinks CNN believes random technology is a replacement for coverage.
2. I was happy that they did not have that stupid crawl on [...]